Tuesday, November 01, 2005

The Horror List

So here is another list, that is a little bit late for Halloween, but I think horror films should be watched year-round anyway. This will just help you take the edge off of the on-coming holiday season. Ok so here is a list (in no particular order) of horror films that no one should die without seeing.

Frankenstein (1939)
The Invisible Man (1940’s)
The Haunting (1950’s)
The Shining
The Thing
John Carpenter’s The Thing
Halloween 1 & 2
In the Mouth of Madness
The Prophecy
The Evil Dead Trilogy
Dead Alive
Bucket of Blood
The Pit and the Pendulum
The Devil’s Advocate
An American Werewolf in London
The Blair Witch Project
The Exorcist
Interview with the vampire
Freaks
Big Trouble in little china
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Dawn of the Dead (1977)

Now I know that this list is fairly John Carpenter heavy - but the fact remains that all of his films mentioned above actually belong on this list. There are a few other directors that I am leaving out but I am trying to keep this list at an appropriate length. Of course leave any comments and or additions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I would agree Dan. I don't know how anxious my friends will be to see "freaks" but what the hell. It is a good list of quality horror movies and it is completely void of anything that deals with "That Texas Chainsaw Massacre Crap of a Movie". I am disapointed to not find any of the Alien series on this list. Also what about the film that has the CSI:miami guy in it. I think its called Session 9. Anyway thanks for this list.

-Steve

Anonymous said...

Hey Dan,

This weekend we (Emily and I) watched Frankenstein. It was
definitely a classically good horror film. Boris Karloff did an
excellent job as well. Frankenstein's monster (give me a moment and I'll have a better word) is an ethically intriguing enigma because while he kills people, there is a child-like fear seen when fire is shown to him. Karloff does an excellent job with the creature's (I'm still looking for a better word) facial expressions. I have noticed that black and white films use
interesting shadow techniques. There are parts when his shadow
looms largely on the wall.

Last night we watched Bride of Frankenstein. It was interesting
how they chose to draw out the process of jump-starting the female creation, as if trying to hold the audience's curiosity. Emily thought I was morbid when I said I wanted to see them accomplish the task of (I've got it now) reanimating the conglomeration of disembodied parts to create a female friend/wife for the other one.

I noticed that opposed to the original where the focus was on the brain, in Bride of Frankenstein the focus seemed to be on the heart, as if the first film touched on the intellect and
intelligence of making a person while the second film ventured into the emotional and psychological aspects of a person.

And then there is the famous question of who the real monster
is. My vote is on Dr. Pretorius who manipulates Dr. Frankenstein
by kidnapping his wife and his creation by way of drugged drink and by pretending to be his friend.

Anyway, they were good films and I really must be going.
Take care,
- Elli :)